There is one Christmas meal that almost in every country, but their mention are different from one country to another.
Image : Ist
Wikipedia says, Cougnou, or bread of Jesus, is bread made at Christmas.
It name is diverse in every country, there is a call as coquille, cougnolle, queniolle, or volaeren.
The bread is called Jesus, because it tastes sweet and shaped like the baby Jesus when born. Bread of Jesus is made from flour, eggs, milk, yeast, raisins, and sugar.
Typically, this bread is given to children at Christmas and the Day of St. Martin and eaten along with a cup of hot chocolate. Bread is estimated to come from Hainaut but later spread to the south.
Want to know the recipe, here it is:
- 8 cups flour
- 5 teaspoons yeast
- 8 ounces of melted butter
- 1-1/4 fresh milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar mixed with 1 cup water
How to make:
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl, make a big hole in the middle and pour the milk. Add the yeast, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- To compound. Add eggs, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir well with a spoon, can add butter if desired.
- Pour mixture that has fermented for 10 minutes into a container that has been covered with flour. Cover with plastic or a damp clean towel and let rise 1 hour or until the material is expanded twice. Make the dough raisins, and 1 cup sugar.
- After 1 hour, the dough into six pieces. Connect the three parts have been used balls made to resemble the head, body and legs on each baking sheet. Previously, coat pan first. Wait until the material expands doubled.
- Preheat oven to 430 degrees Fahrenheit (221 degrees Celsius). Combine the egg mixture (no.1) with three teaspoons of milk. This mixture is used to lubricate the top of the dough ingredients. After that, sprinkle two tablespoons of granulated sugar and bake for 25 minutes or until the color becomes brown.